When I was a single mom, one of my most difficult days was Mother’s Day. You’d think it would have been the best day of my life. And though I was thankful for my children, the only mothers I seemed to notice in church were the moms with husbands by their side.
But what’s a single mom to do? So year after year I somehow sought to find the good in the situation and went about my way. But while doing that, I was hoping someone would pamper me a bit and express, “You’re doing a great job, Pam. Keep up the good work!”
So friend, who will pamper you this Mother’s Day? Who will tell you how great you are and why you deserve a crown? I know who will… me! Let me share why you’re greatly valued. Let me commend you on this day.
- YOU are the greatest because you belong to a unique group of women called single mothers who have a secret motto among yourselves, “We are single mom STRONG!”
- YOU are the greatest because you are the one who watches out for your children’s well-being. With every thought you have two considerations: How will this affect me? How will it affect my child?
- YOU are the greatest because you set the course of their path. By the age of three, 85% of a child’s brain is wired. Mom, you are the real “brain developer.”
- YOU are the greatest because you understand that the profession of motherhood is about intentional influence. You’re the one who seeks healing from your own past hurts. You’re the one who intentionally models well by exhibiting a positive presence in the home.
- YOU are the greatest because you understand that all homemaking skills originate and end with you. You alone work to make your home a safe place, a playground, and often an emergency room. You’re the cheerleader, the doctor, and the all in all.
- YOU are the greatest because you are the one who prays for your child’s healing, future mate, tummy ache, science project, and successful birthday party.
- YOU are the greatest because you handle all the responsibilities with grace and charm. You wait for the day that your child will say, “Mom, I noticed your sacrifices.” You understand that your love is the most profound influence on a soul.
- YOU are the greatest because you are the one who provided quality conversation when it was tough to hear and listened with a heart to understand.
- YOU are the greatest because you are the one who suffered from a little sense of accomplishment while doing the mundane things. You’re the one who persevered because you had to for the children’s sake.
All to say, YOU are the best! So on this Mother’s Day, remember your unprecedented significance. I love how Mitch Album summed up the value of motherhood: “Behind all of our stories is always our mother’s story, and hers is where ours actually began. Oh, the value of a mother!”
About Pam Kanaly
Aloha! I’m Pam Kanaly, President and co-founder of Arise Ministries. But actually, I think Arise found me wanting to bless single moms years ago. Ministry was never on my mind as a kid. All I wanted to be was a hula dancer. So Mother enrolled me in the tiny tots’ class. Guess God knew I’d have two grandbabies born in Hawaii. I love the great outdoors. You might even find me spending time with my husband grizzly bear watching or camping. In fact, it was on a turkey hunt that God gave me the name Arise Ministries in 2002. I suppose it’s a good thing that I majored in Grammar in college since I love to write words of encouragement to single moms.