Valentine’s Day is upon us. Everywhere we look we see balloons that say “Be Mine” or candied hearts with engraved “hugs.” Valentine’s Day can make a person feel “less than” if she or he doesn’t have a significant other. I know when I was a teacher as a single mother, it seemed that the entire faculty had a bouquet of roses waiting in the office for them except me. It stung!
Then I thought, hey, this doesn’t have to be so bad. As a follower of Christ, I have the most faithful, attentive, romantic significant other ever: Jesus, the one who talks to me in my car through Christian music as I’m dropping the kids off at school, the one who loves me more than any earthly man ever could, the one who promises me a future and a hope. It’s Jesus –My sweetheart, My eternal husband, My soul mate.
Friend, this Valentine’s Day can be the most memorable day of the entire year! It’s possible to have so much joy that our hearts just can’t contain it. The Bible says that Jesus is ALIVE in heaven, interceding on our behalf. He is preparing a place for us. I would imagine that on Valentine’s Day He takes a minute to gaze more intently at His Valentines—those followers who desire to know Him more intimately. I wonder what He’s dying to tell us. I wonder if He wishes we would be still long enough to hear His words of adoration. I wonder if you and I could draw near and give Him a chance to get a few thoughts off His chest. He’s waiting.
Are we ready to listen? Are we willing to believe? Are we prepared to let the one who loves us more than anything else in the world lavish His love on us?
Shhhh. Listen. Receive. Drink it in:
- Precious one, you might not know me, but I know you like none other. Psalm 139:2
- I see your challenges. Trust me. I have them covered. Proverbs 3:5-6
- It is my desire to overwhelm you in my love. 1 John 3:1
- I chose you when I planned creation. Ephesians 1:11-12
- Nothing you have ever done can separate you from my love. Romans 8:38-39
- I know your future and I long to prosper your ways. Jeremiah 29:11
- You are not a mistake. Psalm 139:15-16
- I am healing all wounds and brokenness of heart. Psalm 147:3
- You can do it. You possess my risen power. 2 Timothy 1:7
- I am enabling you to do all things. Philippians 4:13
- All your days are written in my book. Psalm 139:4
- I am not distant. I am right here. Matthew 28:20
- I am the complete expression of genuine love. 1 John 4:16
- You can handle this day because my grace is sufficient to see you through. 2 Corinthians 12:9
- I am a present help. Psalm 46:1
- I am your provider who is meeting all your needs. Matthew 6:31-33
- I rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17
- Why are you beating yourself up when I have already forgiven you? 1 John 1:9
- I have a big shoulder that is capable of carrying your burdens. 1 Peter 5:7
- I will never stop doing good for you. Jeremiah 32:40
- I will never, no never, leave you nor forsake you. Hebrews 13:5
- You are my treasured possession. No one loves you like me. Exodus 19:5
Can you feel His lavish love? So go ahead. Do something outrageous and incredibly silly. Buy yourself a bundle of flowers from Jesus and smell the fragrance of His affection. Embrace His courtship and gentle wooing. Purchase your own sack of candied hearts. Go through them heart-by-heart and chuckle at His charming personality:
- Tweet Me.
- You and Me.
- Mad about you.
- Marry Me. (Marry me? Oh, yes, one day He actually WILL!)
Let us celebrate, let us rejoice, let us give Him glory! For the Marriage of the Lamb has come; his Wife has made herself ready. She was given a bridal gown of bright and shining linen. Revelation 19:7-9
About Pam Kanaly
Aloha! I’m Pam Kanaly, President and co-founder of Arise Ministries. But actually, I think Arise found me wanting to bless single moms years ago. Ministry was never on my mind as a kid. All I wanted to be was a hula dancer. So Mother enrolled me in the tiny tots’ class. Guess God knew I’d have two grandbabies born in Hawaii. I love the great outdoors. You might even find me spending time with my husband grizzly bear watching or camping. In fact, it was on a turkey hunt that God gave me the name Arise Ministries in 2002. I suppose it’s a good thing that I majored in Grammar in college since I love to write words of encouragement to single moms.